Guiding Committee Meeting 4/24/14
- Role of Guiding Committee
- Four people wanting to leave (Nancy, Randi, Selden, Linda); Nancy happy to continue on as Treasurer but not as GC member
- Should GC continue in its current form?
o Pros for keeping GC: group needs central body to hold it together; without it disorganization and miscommunication can ensue; maybe a model where the GC continues but sub-committees are a good idea to help share the load
o Some things have to be done: we have a responsibility to MMI: this includes a contact person and a secure set up and close down system (important to have committee for that – 2-3 volunteers)
- Resolution on continuation and role of Guiding Committee:
o Jim to send email to sangha as follows:
o Keep GC going, but in smaller capacity
o Form several committees (2-4 volunteers in each committee) to administer various aspects of Sangha:
- Opening/Closing Madrona Building – mandatory (Sarah to manage)
- Treasury: two or three people to handle money – mandatory (Nancy to manage)
- Retreat planning – mandatory (Selden to manage)
- Education (including Librarian?) – optional
- Social – optional
- Communications (Website, Google Group, email lists) – optional (currently managed by Joan)
- DOM – optional (currently Joan, Linda, Noreen, Nancy)
o Keep Weeks 1-4 as is: Week 1: Dharma Talk; Weeks 2-4: Practice Notes
o Make 5th Wednesday of month a social night (sit and sip) – social committee can organize
o Signing up for facilitating – if no one signs up to facilitate, the meeting will remain unstructured (social) and will close at 8.30.
o Put all instructions for how to do things on the web (Selden to get hard copies of instructions to Joan for putting on web)
o Linda to ask Sarah to be Opening/Closing Committee chair; also leave Buddha in med room so people can have opportunity to stay in meditation if they want to
o Jim, Joan, Randi, John, Linda to stay on GC
- Linda to reserve kitchen at Fort for potential Sangha picnic in summer
- Discussion Guidelines during sangha meetings
- How to deal with situations where Discussion Guidelines aren’t being followed?
o Facilitator can intervene and bring awareness back to guidelines: no judging, comparing, fixing, cross-talk
o This can also be managed by GC members or more experienced/long-term members
- Educating people on meditating/vipassana
o Make available first Thursday of every month for people to learn meditating
o Booklet available to give to people
- Selden to get copy of booklet to Joan to put on website
- Jan Fraser coming to PT in August
- shall PT Sangha be involved?
o handle like we did with Joanna Macy visit – not sponsored by Sangha but if people from Sangha want to get involved that’s ok – Sangha will support it
o not OK to advertise on GG or Sangha
- Advertising non-sangha events through Google Group and website
- We receive occasional requests to advertise non-sangha related events through our media – is this OK?
o not OK to advertise any non-Sangha things on website or GG
o if uncertain, seek guidance of GC
- Steve coming in October 7/8. Friday night talk and all day Saturday (Nancy to organize Yacht Club)
- Rodney staying at Joan’s.